Saturday, January 13, 2007

Steering Wheel

One of the feature of the Sports Bug package was a special smaller sports steering wheel. It does look cool and for the sake of completeness, I'm glad that the car still had it but I can't drive with it. The small size, my height and the unadjustable nature of the bug steering column, means that I can't see anything on the dash board when I'm driving. I've taken a picture from my point of view to show you what I mean:

I'm going to keep this steering wheel and restore it but I'll probably only run with it in the car if I ever show it or if I sell it. I managed to pick up a nice 70's vintage wheel off of ebay last week for $25 dollars complete with horn button and in pretty good shape so I'll be putting that on the car in a few weeks. The standard wheel is larger so that I can see the speedometer and will give me a little more torque for parallel parking.



UPDATE April 21, 2007

I installed the standard wheel today and now I can see the steering wheel. The downside is that I can barely get my legs under the wheel but that's still better than not seeing the speedometer.


No comments: