Sunday, January 14, 2007

Future Plans

Metacomment: In this post I'm going to outline what I plan to do to this car and then track how well I manage to meet those plans. I'll put a link to this post on the side bar and then update it periodically with my progress or lack thereof.

Short term plans:
  • Get the fixed window rubber seals replaced. This is not something that I feel like doing myself and is fairly cheap and easy to get an auto window company to do this for you. This is really top priority as the seals don't even try to keep out the rain right now. And since I live in Pittsburgh this car is going to get caught in the rain even if I try to only drive it on sunny days
  • Replace all of the body seals. This is also urgent for similar reasons as above but I'll do this work myself
  • Replace the front door window seals. Same as the fixed windows but I'll do the work
  • Use POR-15 on the rust on the floors and rockers to keep the rust from getting any worse
  • Tune up the engine: carburetor, plugs, points, distributer, valves, oil change, fan belt
  • Rewire the oil sensor which is not connected. The wire is cut off and is wrapped around the wire harness as you can see in this picture
  • Replace the heater hoses in the engine compartment
  • Put the standard bug steering wheel on
  • Replace any needed light bulbs
Medium Term Plans:
  • Get new fasteners for the exterior trim strips
  • Get a new liner for the trunk
  • Get a new dome light
  • Get a vintage radio to replace the modern cd player
  • Get new taillights to replace the cracked and pitted old ones
  • Paint the rims
  • Replace the two missing wheel nub caps
Long term plans:
  • Get a body shop to replace the rocker panels/heater channels and any other rusty body components
  • Have a decent paint job done
  • Show it?

No comments: